Saudi-led forces kill 21 civilians on eve of truce in Yemen

0
62

The US-brokered ceasefire in Yemen got off to a shaky start at midnight on Thursday after the Saudi-led invasion coalition got in one last massacre of civilians.

At least 21 people were killed earlier in the day when coalition forces shelled a market in the south-western city of Taiz, which is under the control of the Houthi-led Supreme Political Council government.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) confirmed the attack yesterday and said one of its staff was among the dead.

“Sadly, one of our colleagues who works as a watchman at the MSF trauma centre in Taiz was killed whilst he was off duty when a blast hit a local market in the neighbourhood,” said Djoen Besselink, MSF’s head of mission in Yemen.

MSF said it had treated more than 10,000 war-wounded patients in Taiz alone since May 2015 — two months into the Saudi-led bombing campaign.

“What’s happening in Yemen is totally unacceptable,” Mr Besselink added.